transgender + -ism
transgenderism (usually uncountable, plural transgenderisms)
- The state of being transgender. (See usage notes)
- (offensive) A purported ideology behind transgender identities, trans activism and trans rights movements. (Compare homosexual agenda.)
2014 August 5, Goldberg, Michelle, “What is a Woman?”, in The New Yorker:
- The dispute between radical feminism and transgenderism.
2012 May 29, Jeffreys, Sheila, The Guardian:
- Let us be free to debate transgenderism without being accused of 'hate speech'.
- The term is common in science and social science literature, but is little used by the trans community; GLAAD says the term is primarily used by anti-transgender activists, and recommends synonyms like "being transgender". Julia Serano agrees that it has been appropriated by transphobic authors in recent years and used as though it referred to an ideology rather than a state of being; she does not consider it offensive per se but notes that it has started to be objected to.