- The quality of being liberal.
- (politics) Any political movement founded on the autonomy and personal freedom of the individual, progress and reform, and government by law with the consent of the governed.
- 2009 January 25, Timothy Garton Ash, “A Liberal Translation”, in New York Times:
- Whether some distant cousin really belongs to the extended family of liberalisms is a matter of healthy dispute.
- (economics) An economic ideology in favour of laissez faire and the free market (related to economic liberalism).
- 2018, Yuval Noah Harari, 21 Lessons for the 21st Century:
- But liberalism has no obvious answers to the biggest problems we face: ecological collapse and technological disruption.
quality of being liberal