- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈbiːɪŋ/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈbiɪŋ/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -iːɪŋ, -ɪŋ
- Hyphenation: be‧ing
being (plural beings)
- A living creature.
- The state or fact of existence, consciousness, or life, or something in such a state.
- Claudius, thou / Wast follower of his fortunes in his being.
- (philosophy) That which has actuality (materially or in concept).
- (philosophy) One's basic nature, or the qualities thereof; essence or personality.
- (obsolete) An abode; a cottage.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Wright to this entry?)
- It was a relief to dismiss them [Sir Roger's servants] into little beings within my manor.
a living creature
the state or fact of existence
- (obsolete) Given that; since.
- “being” in The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition, Houghton Mifflin Company, 2000.
- “being”, in Dictionary.com Unabridged: Dictionary.com, LLC, 1995–.
- "being" in the Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary (Beta Version), K Dictionaries limited, 2000-2006.
- "being" in WordNet 2.0, Princeton University, 2003.