victory at sea
Reputed to refer to the wind-blown rolling seas in the movie and television series Victory at Sea.
- (idiomatic) Ocean conditions that are very windblown and messy, possibly to the point of being inimical to surfing and other watersports.
- 1995, Tom Tweed, 1/5/95 sd cali. surf 7-8' onshore slop in alt.surfing 
- It is total "Victory at Sea" out there today- 17 to 25 knot onshore winds kicking up big. messy windswell/chop everywhere.
- 1998, Jim Shuck, Watercraft World Recap in rec.sport.jetski 
- It is extremely fast and comfortable to ride in 2 foot chop like we had in the ocean today. It will still run near 60 in that "victory at sea" if one can hang on.
- 2004, Vans Triple Crown press release 11.16.2004 
- A diminishing swell Saturday led officials to call for a lay day, then a strong on-shore storm system moved through overnight leaving victory at sea conditions yesterday.
- 2005, Glenn Woodell, Omaezaki? in rec.windsurfing 
- It's not Maui, but wind swell becoming Victory At Sea conditions on the outside as it goes 4.2.
- 2011, National Weather Service, Area Forecast Discussion Tallahassee FL 11:28 AM EDT Mon Sep 5 2011 
- HIGH SURF AND DANGEROUS RIP CURRENTS CONTINUE TODAY WITH VICTORY AT SEA CONDITIONS. SOME BEACH EROSION HAS LIKELY OCCURRED OVER IN THE PANHANDLE.
- 1995, Tom Tweed, 1/5/95 sd cali. surf 7-8' onshore slop in alt.surfing