wail + -ing
wailing (plural wailings)
- A loud drawn out scream or howl.
- 1898, J. Meade Falkner, Moonfleet Chapter 5:
- 'For as soon as I heard Tewkesbury tell of screams and wailings in the air, and no one to be seen,' said Elzevir, 'I guessed that some poor soul had got shut in the vault, and was there crying for his life.
- present participle of wail
- Craig ran off wailing because his friend pulled a prank on him.
- wailing at OneLook Dictionary Search
- wailing in The Century Dictionary, New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911.