argot (plural argots)
- A secret language or conventional slang peculiar to thieves, tramps and vagabonds.
- The specialized informal vocabulary and terminology used between people with special skill in a field, such as between doctors, mathematicians or hackers; a jargon.
- The conversation was in the argot of the trade, full of acronyms and abbreviations that made no sense to the uninitiate.
secret language of thieves, tramps and vagabonds
specialized vocabulary and terminology of a field
Of obscure origin.
argot m (plural argots)
- "argot" in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
argot n (indeclinable)
- “argot” in Polish dictionaries at PWN