From Latin concavus.
Audio (US) (file)
concave (plural concaves)
- A concave surface or curve.
- The vault of the sky.
- One of the celestial spheres of the Ptolemaic or geocentric model of the world.
- Aristotle makes [Fire] to move to the concave of the Moon. - Thomas Salusbury (1661).
- (manufacturing) An element of a curved grid used to separate desirable material from tailings or chaff in mining and harvesting.
- (surfing) An indentation running along the base of a surfboard, intended to increase lift.
- (skateboarding) An indented area on the top of a skateboard, providing a position for foot placement and increasing board strength.
A concave surface or curve
To render concave, or increase the degree of concavity.