From an earlier drīstēt (still dialectally attested) with an epenthetic k, the intensive form of an older verb *drīst, from a stem *drīs-, from Proto-Baltic *drins-, from the (nasalized) zero grade form *dʰr̥ns- of the Proto-Indo-European stem *dʰers-, *dʰres-, *dʰros- (“to dare, to be brave, to attack”) (whence also Latvian drošs (“brave, safe, sure”), q.v.). Cognates include Lithuanian drį̃sti, Sanskrit धृष्णोति (dhṛṣṇóti, “to be brave, to be courageous, to dare”).
- may; be allowed, authorized, have the right (to do something)
- vai drīkstu ienākt? — may I come in?
- vai tu drīksti iet peldēt? — are you allowed to go swimming?
- tu nedrīksti to darīt — you may not, are not allowed to do that
- slimnieks vēl nedrīkst celties — the patient is not allowed to get up yet
- vai nu es drīkstēju tos kokus cirst, un tad man nekas nav jāmaksā, vai es viņus nedrīkstēju cirst, un tad es esmu zaglis? — either I was allowed, had the right to cut (down) those trees, and then I don't have to pay anything, or then I was not allowed, didn't have the right to cut (them), and then I am a thief?
- can; to be possible, desirable
- tu esi jau pieaudzis, tāpēc es domāju, ka drīkstu to atstāstīt — you are already a grownup, so I think that I now may, am allowed to retell it (= tell that story again)
- Ozols saprata, ka ilgāk nedrīkst vilcināties, jāatklāj sapulce, kaut arī reģistrācija vēl nebija sagatavota — Ozols understood that he could not hesitate any longer, it was necessary to open the meeting, even though the registration had not yet been prepared
- to dare, to encourage oneself (to do something)
- vai drīkstētu viņu traucēt, ieiet izrunāties? — would (they) dare to disturb him, to come in talking?
- arī pats Bite nebija nekāds runātājs, bet tā iedresēts, ka sievas un meitas klātbūtnē drīkstēja tikai piebalsot — by himself Bite wasn't a big talker, and he was trained in such a way that in the presence of his wife and daughter he dared only agree
- uzdrīkstēt, uzdrīkstēties
- ^ “drīkstēt” in Konstantīns Karulis (1992, 2001), Latviešu Etimoloģijas Vārdnīca (Rīga: AVOTS) ISBN: 9984-700-12-7.
Read in another language
This page is available in 2 languages