- (RP) IPA: /ˈfɒləʊɪŋ/, X-SAMPA: /"fQl@UIN/
- (GenAm) IPA: /ˈfɑloʊɪŋ/, X-SAMPA: /"fAloUIN/
Audio (US) (file)
- Hyphenation: fol‧low‧ing
following (not comparable)
- Coming next, either in sequence or in time
- See the following section.
- About to be specified
- The following words have no definition . . .
- (of a wind) Blowing in the direction of travel
- The following wind sped us on our way.
(Senses 1, 2) When it modifies a noun phrase, it is generally preceded by the definite article the, and the combination functions as a determiner rather than a simple adjective. You can put it before a cardinal like the following two remarks instead of the two following remarks.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
following (plural followings)
- A group of followers, attendants or admirers; an entourage.
- He had a loyal following.
- 2011 September 29, Jon Smith, “Tottenham 3 - 1 Shamrock Rovers”, BBC Sport:
- And White Hart Lane was stunned when Rovers scored just five minutes after the restart in front of their away following.
- Something to be mentioned immediately later. Used with the definite article the.
- The following is a recommendation letter from the president.
- Vocation; business; profession.