gourd (plural gourds)
- Any of the trailing or climbing vines producing fruit with a hard rind or shell, from the genera Lagenaria and Cucurbita (in Cucurbitaceae).
- A hard-shelled fruit from a plant in Lagenaria or Cucurbita.
- The dried and hardened shell of such fruit, made into a drinking vessel, bowl, spoon, or other objects designed for use or decoration.
- (obsolete) Any of the climbing or trailing plants from the family Cucurbitaceae, which includes watermelon, pumpkins, and cucumbers.
- (slang) Head.
- I got so stoned last night. I was out of my gourd.
the dried and hardened shell of a gourd fruit
(obsolete) any of the climbing or trailing plants from the family Cucurbitaceae
From Latin gurdus.
Read in another language
This page is available in 23 languages