From Late Latin mixticĭus, from Latin mixtus. Cognate to Portuguese mestiço, French métis.
mestizo m (feminine mestiza, masculine plural mestizos, feminine plural mestizas)
- Of mixed, Spanish and Native American heritage
- also of mixed indigenous (aboriginal) and colonial (European) descent
mestizo m (plural mestizos, feminine singular mestiza, feminine plural mestizas)
- A person of mixed Spanish and Native American heritage
- A person whose ethnic heritage is of both aboriginal and colonial descent
- (person of mixed caucasoid and Amerindian descent who lives in the Americas): ladino, cholo
- (person of mixed Caucasoid and Amerindian descent who lives in Spain): Panchito and Sudaca - used in a derogatory and discrimitory way instead of Latino.