non- + committal
noncommittal (comparative more noncommittal, superlative most noncommittal)
- Tending to avoid commitment; lacking certainty or decisiveness; reluctant to give out information or show one's feelings or opinion.
- The Major's face was noncommittal.
- The noncommittal Indians would give no counsel as to fording.
- 1818, S.R. Wells, The American Phrenonological Journal, and other miscellany, v. 10, p. 234:
- [He] is candid, open-hearted, and hardly non-commmittal enough for his own interest at times.
- ↑ 1.01.11.2 “non-committal, adj. and n.” listed in the Oxford English Dictionary [Draft revision; June 2008]