- Having a strong odor that stings the nose, said especially of acidic or spicy substances.
- The lasagne included plenty of pungent garlic.
- 1991, Paul Chadwick, Concrete: American Christmas, Dark Horse Books
- I can almost smell the fir scent… resinous, pungent.
- Having a strong taste that stings the tongue, said especially of hot (spicy) food, which has a strong and sharp or bitter taste.
- (figuratively) Stinging; acerbic.
- The critic gave a pungent review.
- (botany) Having a sharp and stiff point.
having a strong odour
having a sharp and stiff point