From Old High German sliozan, from Proto-Germanic *sleutaną. Akin to Old Saxon slūtan, Dutch sluiten.
- IPA: [ˈʃliːsn̩], [ˈʃliːsən]
schließen (class 2 strong, third-person singular simple present schließt, past tense schloss, past participle geschlossen, auxiliary haben)
- (transitive or intransitive) to shut; to close; to shut down
- (transitive or intransitive) to conclude; to end; to close
- (transitive) to come to (an agreement); to enter into (a relationship); to reach (a settlement)
- (transitive or intransitive) to gather; to conclude; to come to realize