So called in contrast to alcoholic beverages, which are "hard drinks".
soft drink (plural soft drinks)
- Any carbonated, usually sweet, non-alcoholic drink. (In this sense, juice, milk, tea and coffee are not soft drinks.)
- (broadly speaking) Any non-alcoholic drink.
- coke (most common term in the Southeastern US)
- pop (most common term in the upper West and upper Midwest of the US, including western WI, most of IL including Chicago, MI, IN, OH, WV and western PA)
- soda (most common term in HI, CA, eastern MO, southwestern IL, eastern WI and New England)
- See also Wikisaurus:soft drink
sweet, non-alcoholic carbonated beverage
any non-alcoholic beverage, such as Coca-Cola or milk