surrogate (plural surrogates)
- A substitute (usually of a person, position or role).
- A person or animal that acts as a substitute for the social or pastoral role of another, such as a surrogate mother.
- (chiefly UK) A deputy for a bishop in granting licences for marriage.
- (US law): A judicial officer of limited jurisdiction, who administers matters of probate and intestate succession and, in some cases, adoptions.
- A surrogate or surrogate key is a unique identifier for either an entity in the modeled world or an object in the database.
- (computing) Any of a range of Unicode codepoints which are used in pairs in UTF-16 to represent characters beyond the Basic Multilingual Plane.
- See also Wikisaurus:substitute
A person or animal that acts as a substitute for another
A deputy for a bishop in granting licences for marriage
US law: A judicial officer of limited jurisdiction
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- Of, concerning, relating to or acting as a substitute.
Of, concerning, relating to or acting as a substitute
to replace or substitute something with something else
to appoint a successor
Read in another language
This page is available in 18 languages