(With verbal prefixes):
- tigead (parts of Munster)
The standard form is analytic: go dtaga mé.
|Note: Some of these forms may be hypothetical. Not every
possible mutated form of every word actually occurs.
There are two main theories about the origin of this word. Both derived the first syllable from Proto-Baltic *ta-, from Proto-Indo-European *to-, an old pronominal stem, whence also tas (“this”). The second syllable is, according to one theory, from the particle ga and an extra -d (< da). The same particle ga can be found in Lithuanian tàgatės (“thus, like that”) and Old Prussian anga (“or”), and in reduced form in 17th-century arīg (modern arī “too”) and as dz (< *dzi < parallel form *gi) in nedz). An alternative theory, however, derives the second syllable in tagad from gads, now “year” but previously also “time”: from an earlier accusative *tagadi (“this time”) would have come present-day tagad “now.” Cognates include Old Church Slavonic тогда (togda), тъгда (tŭgda), Russian тогда (togdá), Ukrainian тогді (tohdí), тогід (tohid, “last year”), Bulgarian тога (togá), Czech tehdy, dialectal tehda (“then”).
- now (at the present moment)
- atnāciet rīt, tagad man nav laika — come tomorrow, now I don't have time
- bet tagad pastāstiet kaut ko interesantu! — but now tell (us) something interesting!
- runāt vajag tikai par to, kas ir zināms; bet, ko nezini, to iemācies un iepazīsti... bet tagad, marš, gulēt! — can only speak about that which is knowable; that which you don't know, learn and get to know it... but now, march! to sleep!
- now, nowadays (in the time period that includes the present)
- manā laikā maršala zižļu dēļ tā neuztraucās kā tagad par tabakdozēm — in my day they wouldn't worry about a marshall's baton the way they now do about a tobacco box
- kur septiņpadsmitā gadsimta sākumā bija Līvas upītes ieteka, tur tagad Līvas iela — where in the beginning of the 17th century was the estuary of the Līva river, there now is Līva street
- ^ “tagad” in Konstantīns Karulis (1992, 2001), Latviešu Etimoloģijas Vārdnīca, in 2 vols, Rīga: AVOTS, ISBN: 9984-700-12-7