See also: Ἰουδαία
Ιουδαία • (Ioudaía) f
- Jew, Jewess (a female who follows the religion of Judaism)
- (history) Judean (a female who is from Judea)
The terms used in Greek for the Jewish people vary in their shades of meaning:
- Εβραία f (Evraía) refers to the Hebrews and their religious background and the associated religious culture. It is the dominant word in use today for the Jews in general.
- Ιουδαία f (Ioudaía) is an older term and covers ethnic, religious, historical and cultural meanings.
- Ισραηλίτισσα f (Israïlítissa) covers only the religious aspect.
- Ισραηλινή f (Israïliní) is a term for anyone who lives or is from the modern state of Israel.