- A taxonomic genus within the family Plasmodiidae. When properly capitalised, Plasmodium is a genus that includes several species of parasitic protozoa, including those that cause malaria in humans. In lower case, plasmodium is a technical term for multiple cells of certain organisms combined into a single mass of protoplasm.
- In the young forms of the parasite (Plasmodium malariae), the protoplasmic ring is broader at one point of its periphery than the remainder, giving to it a characteristic “signet-ring” appearance...
- (genus): Protozoa - kingdom; Biciliata - subkingdom; Neozoa - infrakingdom; Alveolata - superphylum; Myzozoa - phylum; Apicomplexa - subphylum; Sporozoa - infraphylum; Aconoidasida - class; Haemosporida - order; Plasmodiidae - family
- Plasmodium on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Plasmodium on Wikispecies.Wikispecies
- Plasmodium on Wikimedia Commons.Wikimedia Commons
- Plasmodium at the Tree of Life Web Project
- Plasmodium at Encyclopedia of Life
- Plasmodium at National Center for Biotechnology Information