See also: puertorican
Puerto Rican (plural Puerto Ricans)
- A person from Puerto Rico.
- Synonym: Boricua
- 1964, Kennedy, John F., “Waves of Immigration-the Post-Revolutionary Forces”, in A Nation of Immigrants, Revised and Enlarged edition, Harper & Row, LCCN 64-7830, OCLC 899031989, page 63:
- Today many of our newcomers are from Mexico and Puerto Rico. We sometimes forget that Puerto Ricans are U.S. citizens by birth and therefore cannot be considered immigrants. Nonetheless, they often receive the same discriminatory treatment and opprobrium that were faced by other waves of newcomers. The same things are said today of Puerto Ricans and Mexicans that were once said of Irish, Italians, Germans and Jews: “They’ll never adjust; they can’t learn the language; they won’t be absorbed.”
person from Puerto Rico
- Of, from, or pertaining to Puerto Rico, or the Puerto Rican people.
- Synonym: (US, colloquial) boricua
pertaining to Puerto Rico