See also: Puerto-Rico
From Spanish Puerto Rico (“Rich Port”). In English, the name is commonly pronounced and was formerly spelled as "Porto Rico"; many other Spanish Puerto placenames were formerly also anglicized to Porto.
- A self-governing Commonwealth in the Caribbean which is a territory of the United States. Official name: Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.
- The island comprising most of that territory.
- The indigenous Taíno name for the island of Puerto Rico was 'Borikén', which literally means "Land of the Valiant Lord".
- PR (symbol)
- Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands / Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands / Puerto Rico and the United States Virgin Islands
- ^ Examples include Portobelo, Panama (formerly called "Porto Bello" in English and "Puerto..." in Spanish); "Porto Cabello" (Puerto Cabello, Venezuela); and "Porto Principe" (Puerto Principe, the settlement which later moved and became Camagüey, Cuba).