See also: Academism
academism (plural academisms)
- Alternative form of [First attested in the mid 18th century.]
- 1912, Haldane Macfall, A History of Painting: The Modern Genius Part Eight, T. C. and E. C. Jack, page 87:
- For art, academism is death. Academism is the painting in the manner of some one else, whether that other be Greek or Florentine, […]
- 1935, “The Artist and His Means of Expression”, in The Canadian Author, volume 13-15, Canadian Authors Association, page 11:
- Contemporary Canadian art suffers from new academisms. […] , her reaction is through Keats, Shelley and Byron. Her writing, based on these is perfection itself but still an academism and therefore non-contributive.
- ^ Brown, Lesley, ed. The Shorter Oxford English Dictionary. 5th. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2003.