afterbite (plural afterbites)
- Something that lingers after it is bitten, especially a smatch or flavour; aftertaste.
- (figuratively and by extension) That which returns with a memory, usually one that is bitter or painful
- 2002, Monica Wood, Secret Language:
- She's dressed exactly like Faith, her hair winched into the same yellow braids. She can still feel the afterbite of Delle's nails as she raked the hair back, complaining.
- 2000, Roger Kahn, Good Enough to Dream:
- That is a marvelous month to start, particularly in the North where some April days sting with the afterbite of winter and others glow with summer promise.