See also: air ball
- air + ball
- The first recorded use of the "airball" chant was on February 24, 1979, during a college basketball game between the Duke University Blue Devils and the North Carolina Tar Heels after the Tar Heels' Rich Yonakor took a shot which missed the rim.
airball (plural airballs)
- (basketball) A shot which misses the backboard, rim and net entirely.
- As soon as the shot left his hands, the crowd yelled "Airball!"
- (basketball) To throw an airball
- Charlotte Observer - 26th anniversary of the airball chant