alaunt (plural alaunts)
- A type of extinct breed of domesticated dog, related to the modern bulldog and mastiff, or modern breeds created in imitation of it.
- 1917 trans., Yale University, Transactions - The Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences, Volume 21, page 133:
- The gentle alaunt is built exactly like a greyhound, except that he has a short, thick head.
- 2007, Robert Low, An Ancient History of Dogs: Spaniels Through the Ages, page 121:
- The alaunt was considered a reckless animal, and had been known to attack domestic animals, or even its owner.
- 2011, Ed Judah, The Lion Wakes, page 65:
- There was a streak through the grass, a fast-moving brindle arrow, rough-haired and uncombed. It struck the flank of the alaunt in midleap ...