See also: Ancien Régime
- (Received Pronunciation) enPR: (approximately): äɴsiăɴ ʀézhim, IPA(key): [ɑ̃siæ̃ ʁeʒim],
- (US) IPA(key): /ɑ̃.sjɛ̃ ɹeɪ.ˈʒim/
- (pejorative) A system of government long since supplanted by another, particularly a state of feudalism with an absolute monarchy supported by the doctrine of divine right with the explicit consent of an established church.
system of government long since supplanted by another
The term is used generically in French to refer to any previous government, without automatic negative connotations. In English, the term is generally used pejoratively.
- “ancien régime” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
- ancien régime (system of government long since supplanted by another)