See also: atténuation
- Rhymes: -eɪʃən
- A gradual diminishing of strength.
- (physics) A reduction in the level of some property with distance, especially the amplitude of a wave or the strength of a signal.
- (biology) A weakening in the virulence of a pathogen or other microorganism.
- (botany) The tapering of a leaf etc to a fine point.
- (engineering) A fabrication process in which a material is stretched out into a thin shape.
- (homeopathy) The reduction of the active principles of medicines to minute doses.
- (brewing) The proportion of sugar that is converted to ethanol by a yeast.
gradual diminishing in the strength
physics: reduction in the level of some property with distance
botany: tapering to a fine point
homeopathy: reduction of the active principles of medicines