- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈbɒt.ə.ni/, /ˈbɒt.ni/, /-nɪ/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈbɑt.ə.ni/, /ˈbɑt.ni/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɒtəni
- (uncountable) The scientific study of plants, a branch of biology. Typically those disciplines that involve the whole plant.
- The plant life of a geographical area; flora.
- the botany of Greenland
- The properties and life phenomena exhibited by a plant, plant type, or plant group.
- (countable) A botanical treatise or study, especially of a particular system of botany or that of a particular place.
scientific study of plants
properties and life phenomena of plants
botanical treatise or study
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.