Last modified on 16 June 2013, at 22:49
- IPA(key): /ˈbæk.riːd/
- IPA(key): /ˈbæk.rɛd/ past & past participle
back + read
backread (third-person singular simple present backreads, present participle backreading, simple past and past participle backread)
- (Internet, slang, especially in IRC) To catch up on an ongoing conversation, by reading previous portions one was not present for.
- To interpret what one has read previously in the light of later experience or knowledge
- 1980, Diana Hume George, Blake and Freud
- Thereafter, Freud was obliged not only to expand but to backread that expansion into all that came before.
- 2001, Andrew Rippin, Muslims: their religious beliefs and practices
- What must be recognized is the nature of the source material in which one sees a theological/ideological backreading of history.
- Simple past tense and past participle of backread.