bencher (plural benchers)
- (Canada, law) A senior member of a law society in a Canadian province (except New Brunswick).
- (Britain, obsolete, law) One of the senior governing members of an Inn of Court.
- (Britain, obsolete) An alderman of a corporation.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Ashmole to this entry?)
- (obsolete) A member of a court or council.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Shakespeare to this entry?)
- (obsolete) One who frequents the benches of a tavern; an idler.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.