- bombastick (obsolete)
18th century, from bombast (“padding, stuffing”).
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /bɒmˈbæs.tɪk/
- (US) IPA(key): /bɑmˈbæs.tʰɪk/
Audio (US) (file) Audio (AU) (file)
- Rhymes: -æstɪk
- (of a person, their language or writing) showy in speech and given to using flowery or elaborate terms; grandiloquent; pompous
- High-sounding but with little meaning.
- (archaic) Inflated, overfilled.
- (pompous or overly wordy): See Thesaurus:concise
pompous or overly wordy
high-sounding but with little meaning