bone of contention
A reference to two dogs fighting over the same bone.
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈbəʊn əv kənˈtɛnʃən/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈboʊn əv kənˈtɛnʃən/
Audio (US) (file) Audio (AU) (file)
- (idiomatic) Something that continues to be disputed; something on which no agreement can be reached
- It is still a bone of contention whether to go ahead with the original plan in light of the new evidence.
- 2018 November 18, Phil McNulty, “England 2 - 1 Croatia”, in BBC Sport:
- England's "Football Coming Home" anthem became a serious bone of contention at the World Cup - with Croatia using it as a sign of arrogance from their opponents in the build up to the semi-final.
Something that continues to be disputed