Audio (AU) (file)
- Chicken feed consisting of random mixed grains such as corn, wheat, barley, sorghum and milling by-products.
- 2008, Richard Dwight Apgar, Tough Shit, Eliot: A Yank's Tale, Dorrance Publishing, →ISBN, page 1:
- A soft odor of chicken scratch, mash, and manure always permeated the air when you approached. Attached to the chicken coop was a smokehouse that contained several smoked ham shoulders hanging from hooks.
- (informal, idiomatic) Cramped or illegible handwriting.
- Synonym: scrawl
- 2014, A. Meredith Walters, Light in the Shadows, Simon and Schuster, →ISBN, page 25:
- The pencil in my hand was limp between my fingers and I couldn't focus on the chicken scratch on the pages. My breathing had become shallow and my heart was racing. I was in the midst of a full-blown panic attack.
- A type of cross-stitch embroidery done on gingham fabric.
- Synonym: Amish embroidery
informal: illegible handwriting