- The act or process of writing done with the hand, rather than typed or word-processed.
- The characteristic writing of a particular person.
- 1895, F. Marion Crawford, Taquisara:
- It was still early in the morning when Elettra brought her a letter, bearing the postmark of the city, and addressed in one of those small, clear handwritings which seem naturally to belong to scholars and students.
- 1893, Joseph B. Lightfoot, Essays on "Supernatural Religion":
- In some handwritings of the seventh or eighth century, where the letters have a round form, the substitution of OT for EG would be far from difficult.
- 1914, P. S. Allen, The Age of Erasmus:
- Great libraries are only just beginning to gather up the manuscript minutiae which their books contain; to identify handwritings; to decipher monograms; to collect facts.
- Text that was written by hand.
act or process of writing with the hand
characteristic writing of a particular person
text written by hand