Shorto (2006) compares Vietnamese chuối to Proto-Mon-Khmer *t₁luəjʔ, and mentioned that the expected reflex should be **truối. But this is unlikely as all cognates within Vietic show the palatal stop /c/ as in Vietnamese. Shorto's assignment is likely due to the shortage of resource. "Cognates" are Proto-Palaungic *klɔɔj; Proto-Khmuic *tlɔːj (whence Khmu [script needed] (tɘlɔ́:y)).
- (slang, Northern Vietnam) cringeworthy; cringy
- Hôm qua rượu vào lỡ thú với người ta. Chuối quá đi mất!
- I was so drunk up yesterday I confessed to her. Man, that's painful to think about!
- Nó bày trò ảo thuật bài mà quên bỏ bài vào trong áo, thành thử khi lên diễn thì chuối cả nải luôn!
- He wanted to do a card trick but forgot to hide cards in his jackets, so it was all out cringe when he went upstage!