Various words with similar shape that have the meaning of "to fell trees" occur in many Austroasiatic branches, including Semai kòl, Temiar kel, Proto-Bahnaric *kal (whence Koho köl) and Proto-Katuic *kəl (whence Pacoh câl); all could be contributed to *kuəl ~ *kəl (“to cut down, fell”), which might be related to the root above. Alternatively, compare Proto-Khmuic *tŋkəl (“stump”) (whence Khmu [Cuang] tŋkɨl), Khmer គល់ (kŭəl), Mon ဓဂဵု.
- (Hà Nội) IPA(key): [kəj˧˧]
- (Huế) IPA(key): [kəj˧˧]
- (Hồ Chí Minh City) IPA(key): [kəj˧˧]
Audio (Ho Chi Minh City) (file)
- a plant with a hard trunk or stem, such as a woody tree or bamboo, as opposed to cỏ (“(soft-stemmed) grass”)
- (by extension) a plant (including trees and grasses), or more rarely, a mushroom
- (colloquial) Short for .
- Nhà tui cách Sài Gòn cỡ năm chục cây.
- My house is about fifty kilometres from Sài Gòn.