- Relating to transfer or conveyance.
- a demissionary deed
- Tending to lower, depress, or degrade.
- (sometimes after the noun modified) Having resigned or been removed from a position, but retaining some status or powers.
- Bishops demissionary served as rectors of several churches.
- The cabinet had only demissionary status and powers as a caretaker government.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
(See the entry for demissionary in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.)