- plural of
- (literary) The deepest part. (Usually of a body of water.)
- The burning ship finally sank into the depths.
- (literary) A very remote part.
- Into the depths of the jungle...
- In the depths of the night,
- (of an emotion, mystery) The lowest point, all-time low, nadir.
- to plumb the depths of despair
- to stir someone to his depths
- The most severe or involved period.
- in the depths of the crisis
- in the depths of winter
- Since the meaning is superlative, it is almost always used with the definite article the.
plural of depth — see depth
lowest point; all-time low