Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
(See the entry for designation in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.)
- The act of designating; a pointing out or showing; indication.
- Selection and appointment for a purpose or office; allotment; direction.
- His designation as chief justice was controversial.
- That which designates; a distinguishing mark or name; distinctive title; appellation.
- Use or application; import; intention; signification, as of a word or phrase.