- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ɪnˈkʌɹɪd͡ʒɪŋ/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ɪnˈkɝɹɪd͡ʒɪŋ/
- Hyphenation: en‧cour‧aging
encouraging (comparative more encouraging, superlative most encouraging)
- giving courage, confidence or hope
- Although there is no cure for the disease yet, the research results are encouraging.
- supporting by giving encouragement
- auspicious, or bringing good luck
giving courage, confidence or hope
supporting by giving encouragement
auspicious, or bringing good luck
encouraging (plural encouragings)
- 1853, The Living Age, volume 37, page 58:
- […] the thousand little ties of sympathy and mutual hopes and fears, comfortings and encouragings.