- inquire (chiefly US)
- (General American) IPA(key): /ɪŋˈkwaɪɹ/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ɪŋˈkwaɪə/
- Rhymes: -aɪə(ɹ)
- (intransitive) To make an enquiry.
- He enquired about the availability of rental bicycles in the town.
- (transitive, archaic) To ask about (something).
In the USA, inquire is generally used in place of enquire. Where enquire is used (particularly in the UK), it means a non-official enquiry (such as to ask a question), whereas inquire is used in legal or government context where official transcripts are generated. In the USA, this distinction is not made and inquire is used generally.