- (euphemistic) Nonsense! Expresses dismissal or disdain.
- Fiddlesticks! It's nothing but smoke and mirrors!
- 1840, Miles, Henry Downes, Dick Turpin:
- "Taken the veil—taken fiddlesticks!" said the old man, merrily; "why she lives near Lincoln, is married to a substantial man, the junior partner of one of the wealthiest bankers in the county […]
- (euphemistic) Darn! Expresses mild dismay or annoyance.
- Oh, fiddlesticks! I locked my keys in the car.
- (expresses dismissal): fiddlesticks, horsefeathers, pull the other one; see also Thesaurus:bullshit
- (expresses annoyance): consarn it, good grief, rats; see also Thesaurus:dammit
expression of mild dismay or annoyance
- plural of
- “fiddlestick (n.)” in Douglas Harper, Online Etymology Dictionary, 2001–2019, retrieved 9 June 2019.