- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈfəː.bɪ.ləʊ/, /ˈfəː.bə.ləʊ/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈfɚ.bɪ.loʊ/, /ˈfɚ.bə.loʊ/
Audio (US) (file)
furbelow (plural furbelows)
- A ruffle, frill or flounce on clothing.
- A decorative piece of fabric, usually gathered or pleated.
- A small, showy ornamentation.
1954, Alexander Alderson, chapter 4, in The Subtle Minotaur:
- The band played ceaselessly. Even when the other instruments were resting the pianist kept up his monotonous vamping, with a dreary furbelow for embellishment here and there, to which some few of the dancers continued to shuffle round the floor.
ruffle — see ruffle
decorative piece of fabric
small, showy ornamentation