grab + bag
grab bag (plural grab bags)
- A gift, purchase, etc. whose contents are concealed until after a selection is made.
- Winners can choose a gift from the grab bags on the table.
- (idiomatic) Any random assortment, selection or possibility.
- With that system, it's a grab bag which files we can find at any moment.
- 2015, Mark Ribowsky, Whiskey Bottles and Brand-New Cars
- There were now a grab bag of southern country-rock units with a new wrinkle—Black Oak Arkansas, for one, combined psychedelia, fifties rock, Hindu spiritualism, and gospel into “psycho-boogie,” or “raunch 'n' roll.”
- A moderately large bag of crisps or other snack, intended for sharing.