- essentiall (obsolete)
- Very important; of high importance.
- Synonyms: crucial; see also Thesaurus:important
- Antonyms: unimportant; see also Thesaurus:insignificant
- 2013 May 17, George Monbiot, “Money just makes the rich suffer”, in The Guardian Weekly, volume 188, number 23, page 19:
- In order to grant the rich these pleasures, the social contract is reconfigured. The welfare state is dismantled. Essential public services are cut so that the rich may pay less tax. […]
- (biology) necessary for survival but not synthesized by the organism, thus needing to be ingested
- Being in the basic form; showing its essence.
- Really existing; existent.
- (geometry) Such that each complementary region is irreducible, the boundary of each complementary region is incompressible by disks and monogons in the complementary region, and no leaf is a sphere or a torus bounding a solid torus in the manifold.
- (Can we add an example for this sense?)
- (medicine) Idiopathic.
terms derived from essential (adjective)
of high importance
in basic form
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked
essential (plural essentials)