- (parking inspector): Reputedly a reference to the grey uniforms once worn, the term remaining even though the uniforms have changed.
grey ghost (plural grey ghosts)
- (Australia, Melbourne, Sydney) A parking inspector, a person issuing tickets fining vehicles parked illegally or for too long.
- 1998 July 18, Sydney Morning Herald, Grey ghosts turn a blind eye.
- The council's chairman, Mr Harold Scruby, is demanding an inquiry into the grey ghost "culture" after a survey raised concerns about the threat to pedestrians of vehicles which stop illegally on crossings and no-standing or no-stopping zones.
- (Australia) The bonefish species (Albula argentea, syn. Albula neoguinaica).
- ^ 1990, Richard Allan, Australian Fish and How to Catch Them, Landsdowne Publishing, ISBN 1-86302-674-6.