From the verb phrase hook up.
Audio (AU) (file)
hookup (plural hookups)
- (sometimes attributive) A connection.
- The plumber came to fix the sewer hookup.
- I need to buy some hookup wire.
- (slang) A brief sexual relationship or encounter; a fling.
- Synonym: fling
- 2013 March 10, Jenna Wortham, “How Grindr Is Changing the Way We Connect”, in New York Times:
- Grindr’s main purpose is to facilitate hookups that are “spontaneous and intimate,” he said.
- He met his two most recent partners at bars, and expressed strong ambivalence and dislike of meeting partners online, but reported half a dozen additional hookups with partners met online.
- (slang) A sexual partner.
- The predominant way of finding a hookup or sexual partner would be going online.
brief sexual relationship — see fling