- Lack of permanence or continued duration.
- The quality or state of being impermanent.
- 1971, “Changes”, in Hunky Dory, performed by David Bowie:
- I watch the ripples change their size / But never leave the stream of warm impermanence and / So the days float through my eyes / But still the days seem the same
- (Buddhism) Anicca, the doctrine which asserts that all of conditioned existence is transient.
lack of permanence
quality or state of being impermanent
- impermanence in The Century Dictionary, New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911
impermanence f (plural impermanences)
- impermanence (state of being impermanent)