in the world
- (idiomatic) Expletive used for emphasis, for example after an interrogative word.
- What in the world was that?
- Who in the world would want to do that?
2012 April 29, Nathan Rabin, “TV: Review: THE SIMPSONS (CLASSIC): “Treehouse of Horror III” (season 4, episode 5; originally aired 10/29/1992)”:
- Writing a “Treehouse Of Horror”segment has to be both exhilarating and daunting. It’s exhilarating because it affords writers all the freedom in the world.
- 1900, L. Frank Baum , The Wonderful Wizard of Oz Chapter 24
- "My darling child!" she cried, folding the little girl in her arms and covering her face with kisses. "Where in the world did you come from?"