licentiate (plural licentiates)
- A person who holds the academic degree of license.
- One who has a licence to exercise a profession.
- a licentiate in medicine or theology
- The college of physicians, in July, 1687, published an edict, requiring all the fellows, candidates, and licentiates, to give gratuitous advice to the neighbouring poor.
- A friar authorized to receive confessions and grant absolution in all places, independently of the local clergy.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Chaucer to this entry?)
- One who acts without restraint, or takes a liberty.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Bishop Hall to this entry?)
person who holds the academic degree of license